ArtCult : News of the art market .
Find in the whole site :
  Home
  News
  Features
  Experts tools
  Communication
  Contact
Filters
Year

Category


Quick search
Find in page News archives :
Find in the whole site :

Information
Latest Ads
07/03: LOOKING FOR MISSING PIECES
URGENTLY LOOKING FOR THE FOLLOWING MISSING PIECES SINCE FEBRUARY 3, 20161) Fauv...
05/01: MR ROBINSON'S DEC 6, 2014 FORGOTTEN RAMPAGE
On December 6, 2014 Mr David Robinson of Pacific Grove (CA) visited the Au Temps Jadis ...
02/03: DICTIONARY OF JEWISH ARTISTS OF ALL TIMES
Seeking a well-established U.S or U.K  publisher for the first-ever English ed...
> Post an ad
Online estimate
Send us a photography and a description and questions, and we will return our point of view.
Sumit estimate

Newsletter
Type in your email to subscribe to our newsletter

News archives

Year :
74 entries
BELGIAN PROMOTER ROBBED OF HIS FABULOUS ART COLLECTION
01 November 1997


A 62-year-old Belgian house promoter has been trying for 26 years to recover 142 masterpieces stolen from his collection following a controversial court decision.
Emile Sablon claims his paintings and several buildingsin his possession were illegally confiscated after his firm was declared bankrupt in 1971.

Namur-based Emile Sablon said he had more than enough with Belgian justice which declared the insolvency of his firm because of unpaid social charges. As a result of the court decision which he described as scandalous his 500 employees were laid off, his art collection and his buildings seized.

" I offered a 4 million Belgian francs (US $ 115,000) payment to stop the procedure and despite the existence of such sum in my bank account, my firm was declared bankrupt," he said.
It took him 17 years to enact a procedure to recover his collection and buildings which had been put into the care of liquidators who were apparently unscrupulous since they sold the paintings through a Brussels art dealer who himself went bankrupt afterwards. Emile Sablon charged that the liquidators destroyed his archives but that he was confident that his appeal against the 26-year-old court decision would be successful.
The collection included three paintings by Van Gogh, five by Monet, six by Cezanne, five by Courbet, one by Gauguin, 16 by Manet, three by Modigliani, five by Toulouse-Lautrec, eight by Renoir, one by Pissarro, four by Fantin-Latour, one by Degas and two by Corot among others.
At least two paintings were acquired by the Louvre museum, one being a plate with asparagus by Monet.
Emile Sablon said his collection was worth between US $ 95 million and 130 million and the buildings seized and later auctioned by the Belgian State some US $ 160 million.
The European Court for Human rights has already called upon
Belgian authorities to reach an agreement regarding this controversial case, he added. Adrian Darmon
Page précédente 20/74
Retour Retour
Mentions légales Terms of use Participants Website plan
Login : Password ArtCult - Made by Adrian Darmon