Born in Villeréal, south-west France, Roger Bissière started to paint at 17 after studying at a college in Cahors. From 1905 to 1910 he frequented the Academy in Bordeaux and then came to Paris where he studied under Gabriel Ferrier.
He reportedly went to Algeria, Rome and London between 1911 and 1918 and worked as a journalist after the First World War. A year later he befriended several painters such as André Favory, Georges Braque and André Lhote and started to write some articles on art matters, notably «Notes on Seurat» in 1920, «Notes on Ingres» and «Notes on Corot» in 1921.
From 1925 to 1938, though convinced that nothing could be taught in the field of art, he worked as a professor at the Académie Ranson where he had Bertholle, Manessier, Le Moal, Elena da Silva and Pellan as pupils.
Affected by a lung disease he came back in 1938 to his native village and found an interest in nature. In 1939 he settled in Boissiérette but the outbreak of the Second World War affected him much.
Also affected with a glaucoma he could no longer paint until 1944. After the war he however managed to resume work and produced tapestries with curious collages of textiles, which led him to meet international fame.
Although almost blind, Bissière continued to work finding nevertheless in his eye disease a way to tackle colours and forms. He took part in many collective exhibitions from 1910, first at the Salon des Artistes Français then at the Salon d'Automne from 1919, at the Salon des Tuileries from 1924 and finally at the Salon des Indépendants from 1927.