43) Escalante, “Immaculate Virgin”, 213 x 175 cm.
44) Borgona Juan de, “Calvary”, on wood panel, 250 x 185 cm.
45) Pereda Antonio, “Immaculate Virgin”, on canvas, 250 x 175 cm
46) Murillo Bartolomé Esteban, “Saint Francis”, on canvas, 430 X 295 cm. Trinidad inv. nº 1009. At present in the Wallraf Richard museum, Cologne
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DUKE OF HERNANI COLLECTION
The Duke of Hernani collection is one of the most important gathering of paintings in Spain. It is a little “Prado Museum” in itself comprising 681 works, the origin of which is the same as those works in the Museo Español, and where almost all western artistic tendencies from the 14th to the 19th Century can be found, made up mainly of front line artists such as Titian, Carpaccio, Veronese, Raphael, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Van Dyck, El Greco or Goya.
The Duke of Hernani collection comes from the former collection of the Portuguese Prince, Sebastián Gabriel Borbón y Bragança. The Portuguese Prince was born in Brazil, the son of Pedro de Borbón and Princess de las Beiras. Because of Napoleonic wars, his father, the grandson of Charles III, had moved to Brazil with all the Portuguese royal family. Eleven years later he returned to Spain to take possession of his father's estate, and immediately, in the flower of youth, he joined up on the “Carlist” side in the wars of Spanish succession. He was taken prisoner, all his possessions were confiscated and he was exiled to Naples where he married Cristina de Borbón, sister of the Queen's consort, Francisco de Asís.
After renouncing the Carlist cause, his possessions were returned to him including those that he had brought from Naples. The 1868 revolution and the proclamation of the First Republic caused him to leave Spain on the way to a second exile to live out his last days in the city of Pau (France) where he died.
The first reliable document on the totality of the Prince's collection is to be found in his will, drawn up before the Madrid notary José María de la Lastra, on November 1 1887, no. 35966 of the document archives of Madrid.